Friday, November 14, 2008

Why do I need I.D. to get I.D? If I HAD I.D. I wouldn't NEED I.D...It's the questionss

The trip. I'm sure everyone wants to know more information about the trip. Why are you in China Nate? Do you speak Chinese? Do you want to marry a Chinese woman? Are you in love with Chinese culture? What is your purpose? Why Asia, why Nate? I didn't have an answer for a long time. To any of these questions. I wasn't sure. I'm still not a hundred percent sure, but I'm starting to find an answer. I'm starting to know why I came on this trip. Why I left New York. Why I left my friends and all my family and the streets I love. It hit me as I was riding the 37 bus today back to my home-stay from my interview with Scholastic. Man the bus was crowded. It was so dark outside I could hardly see anything. A few small lights lit alleys. All I could hear was the horns of motorbikes outside. Shanghai feels like a mixture of the wild west and the big city thrown together. Ahh the incessant rambling, we want the answers Nate! I realized I wanted to experience more of the human experience. (Ah Shiiiiittttt, Nate's lost it!) Just breathe with me here for a second, understand what I'm trying to convey. I was so comfortable in New York. Being a fucking New Yawka, diddy bopping and window shopping. I needed to see and understand what it was like to be totally out of my zone. I wanted to be so other that I lost myself in order to truly examine what I wanted. What I wanted from myself and what I wanted from others. I needed to come to a place where what I knew was no longer what made me who I was.  I didn't want to talk about how alphabet city has changed, and I didn't want to talk about white people in harlem, and I didn't want to talk about pretty spanish girls. I wanted to know why we fight. I wanted to know why people are so different from each other and why people are so resistant to embracing others. I wanted to know why we call people different and why we're always in such a rush to push people out of the way. As my home-stay father took his glasses off and put his forehead to mine when I said my head hurt, and then pointed to my room and mimed for me to sleep, something, I think that same something that started to creep into me on the 37 bus when a woman fell and everyone standing rushed to pick her up, started to come clear. What it is, I'll leave that for you to decide. 

1 comment:

Christin said...

It's so true that it's easier to understand yourself and your own culture through a prism of other cultures. It skews your view just enough to realize you what you assume and what you take for granted. It's as though being in another world is somehow like looking at your reflection.