Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Official Shanghai G

So today was a good day. I signed up for a gym not far from where I'm living. I got a two month deal for about 55 bucks. I also had my first workout in a gym in over a month. I am going to sleep well tonight. It was a much needed lift. I was looking too skinny! Hopefully I can put a little muscle back on now. So before I signed up for the gym, me and Rena were walking through the neighborhood. Rena is the daughter of the host family I am living with. She was taking me over to a gym that was very close to her house. They unfortunately don't offer such short term deals. She made a call, at the time I didn't know who she was speaking to but I guess it was her father. She hung up the phone and asked me if I knew how to ride a bike.

"(GULP) Yes Rena...I think I do..(GULP)

"Ok...we will ride to gym."

We met her father on the street who was standing next to a bike he wanted to throw out. Oh wait. That is his bike that he rides everyday. How foolish of me.  It had a little basket in the front, rusted everything, a front brake that almost worked and a little like, wired pad over the back tire. I wondered if they would send my body back to NYC to get buried. If you don't know, no one obeys traffic laws in Shanghai. No one. I mean people ride motorcycles on the sidewalk. Bikes Nate? NO, motorcycles.  Just because it is a red light does not mean a car is going to stop for the light. Busses? Don't get me started. You thought NYC busses were bad..I mean, I can't even describe the level of fear my first day in China while I crossed the street. 

"Let go" Rena said suddenly.

"NO! I won't Let go!!"  I screamed as if I were a child who knew he was about to be scolded.

"No no, let'S go." Rena corrected herself.

"oh, okay..." I said back and stopped the tape of my life that was playing in full view inside my forehead. 

I slowly peddled down the street and Rena, the old pro she is, neatly positioned herself on the hepatitis filled "seat" covering the back tire.  

The rest is history my friends! I peddled, and I steered and I sped up, and slowed down. I did all the things one might imagine you would do on a bicycle!! Oh but let's not forget the pleasantries I could smell! Human urine, MMM, my favorite, dead things, sewage and oh so much more! I always dreamed of cruising through the city with a lady on my side...Didn't think it would turn out like this however..busses flew by, motorcycles and mopeds. I passed lesser bike riders with ease farting on them as I rode past. Ahh glory at its finest! 

We made it to the gym and back. I'm officially a Shanghai gangster now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Farting on them as I rode past"...who else but you Nate? Who else I ask you? I'm laying on my big purple couch looking out at a very wintry Harlem sky and I feel like you're much closer than Shanghai when I read your blogs,keep it coming baby boy!