Saturday, February 7, 2009

Email from Moms that made me reflect

Hi Nate,I've been meaning to send you a small chatty newsy email..so this is it..
I don't think I mentioned that we met ___________at Armondo's when we were there for that Obama party.. He was there with his parents and his fiance.. They are planning to get married next summer (2010). He is teaching math , in a middle school, in the Bronx. The fianace is a special ed teacher, in Chinatown.
Two days ago, ________ walked into Romeo's while I was having lunch. That story is really too hard to go into.. but it seems he lives on long island..doing rescue work (?!) whatever that means. His older brother lives further out on the island.. I don't know what he does.. his other brother lives in Fla and has a one year old..not sure about a wife. ______wants to go into the fire dept.. or maybe be a school aide.. He has only a 5th grade education he told me.. but he does have a GED.. I think. It was not easy understanding him.. but he was sweet and friendly and asked how you were doing, right away. (I am not sure he knows where China is). He says he does not speak with his mother much.. She's mad at him. I can only imagine. I think she has been mad at him since he was born.. Anyway.. He was in the "hood" to go to the doctor. I felt bad, like I always did, when I saw and spoke to him, since he was little. He really got the raw end of the stick, growing up in his family, dealing with whatever learning disabilities he has.. Because, deep down, I think he wants to do well and to please. His head is completely shaved and he looks a little scary.. It was cold and he was all bundled up, so I don't know if he had any weird tatoos.. I told him I remembered what a good athlete he was and was sure that would help in his fireman's test.. He took that to heart, I think.
Okay.. I guess that is all for the neighborhood news.. Sunday night we will be going to see Celeste's movie.. lovely lily. That should be a fun jackson heights event.
What's up with you?love you,maxoxox

Think about your fam and be happy you've got that love..i know i am! big up to all my jackson heights homies past and present- forever in a new york state of mindd...

the kid talked about above was my homie foreal foreal when I was in elementary school. I was always so mad that people said he was a better ball player than me. I always thought it was just cause he had two older brothers that were thugs around the way so people just gave him run on the court because of it. Not saying he wasn't nasty, cause I remember him to be a true ball player when we were little. He was like my big homie for a little while. We played baseball together and he always liked me cause I was younger but I could hoop and I could hit and I had a little queens swagger even at 9 years old (believe it!) I remember when he had bought the first Penny's that came out in the black and royal blue color way . We were over at St. joan of arcs and he was a year older and in a higher division, and he had come right from the store to the game he was about to play. He didn't wear those sneakers in warm ups..kept them in the box until right before tip off..he was THAT kid. Everyone knew "J" ..I vividly remember (finally) playing on the same team as him and feeling so baller..same in baseball.. I have more stories comin..i have to run...

Things just ain't the same for gangstersss

No comments: